If you tend to deal with frizzy, dry, or unmanageable hair on a regular basis, a regular DIY hair mask consisting of healthy ingredients may be just what you need. Ingredients such as avocado, olive oil, coconut oil, or even egg yolk, might support the health of your hair.
Here’s some information on what causes damaged hair in the first place and how to potentially avoid that damage. You’ll also learn a couple of great mask recipes you can try at home.
Healthy Hair Growth And Your Hair’s Natural Growth Cycle: Can You Actually Make Your Hair Grow Faster?
Each hair shaft on your head goes through a growth cycle. Most of your hair – about 80 percent – is growing on a continual basis. The strands that don’t grow are in one of two states. Either they’re at rest, or they’re in the process of falling out.1
One of the best ways to support your hair growth cycle is to make sure you take care of your overall health. If you’re short on nutrients, that can make it hard for hair to grow. Getting the nutrition you need is important for your entire body – including your hair. Talk to your doctor to see if you might need to adjust your diet.2
Preventing Damaged Hair Strands And Split Ends: Your Daily Shampoo, Styling, And Other Hair Habits
There are a few habits that may be causing damage to your hair without you even knowing it. Here are a few suggestions from the American Academy of Dermatologists you can try in order to keep that damage from occurring.
- When you shampoo your hair, massage it gently into the scalp. Then, when you rinse, let it come out gently without rubbing.
- After you shampoo, remember to use a conditioner. A good conditioner can go a long way toward helping keep your hair strong and healthy.
- Try waiting to let your hair dry naturally before combing.
- Instead of using a hairdryer, try letting your hair air dry. If you have to use a hairdryer, turn it to its lowest setting.
- Limit the use of a curling iron, flat iron, or hot comb to once a week if not less.3
Can Avocado Oil, Egg Yolk, And Olive Oil Benefit Your Hair?
There are three ingredients in particular: avocado oil, olive oil, and egg yolk that appear to have substantial benefits for hair.
Avocado oil and olive oil both have a substantial amount of monounsaturated fat – they both contain 10 grams per tablespoon.4
These types of oils help reduce swelling of hair, due to the amount of water that hair absorbs. This, in turn, results in a decrease of what is known as “hygral fatigue” – caused by repetitive swelling and then drying. The more hygral fatigue that takes place, the more damage hair can undergo.5
Eggs may also help support healthy hair. Eggs contain a type of B vitamin known as biotin. Biotin can support a healthy and strong hair shaft. In fact, dermatologists commonly prescribe biotin to those suffering from hair loss, also known as alopecia.6
Try This DIY Hair Mask To Support Hair And Scalp Health: Egg, Avocado, And Olive Oil Hair Mask
Now that you know why egg yolks, avocado oil, and olive oil are for your hair, it’s time to make an easy DIY hair mask at home with these ingredients.
Here are the specific ingredients you’ll need.
- 2 Tablespoons of olive oil
- Half of a ripe avocado
- 2 egg yolks
- Put all of the ingredients into a mixing bowl. You’ll need to mash the avocado very well until it becomes a paste-like material. If you don’t feel like mixing the ingredients by hand, you can put them in a food processor or blender.
- After the ingredients are mixed, drape a towel over your shoulders. Apply the paste gently to your hair. If you have shorter hair, you could probably cut the amount of ingredients in half.
- Put your hair in a bun and cover with a shower cap or plastic bag.
- Leave the mask in for at least 20 minutes.
- Wash your hair as normal.7
Avoiding Dairy Products? Here’s A Bonus DIY Hair Mask Recipe: Shea Butter, Coconut Oil, And Argan Oil
Some people don’t want to use a dairy product such as egg yolks. That’s no problem at all. You can make a DIY, healthy hair mask using vegan ingredients. Try a shea butter, argan oil, and coconut oil hair mask.
Here’s a look at how to put it together.
- 1 teaspoon of argan oil
- 1 Tablespoon of shea butter
- 2 Tablespoons of coconut oil
- A few drops of an essential oil, such as peppermint, rosemary or lavender(optional)
- Put the shea butter and coconut oil in a microwaveable bowl until the butter is melted.
- Add the argan oil once the mixture has cooled (until it is almost solid).
- Mix for about five minutes, or until you notice the ingredients have formed a cream-like consistency, and add in your essential oil drops of choice.
- Dip a comb into the mixed ingredients and run it through your clean, dry hair.
- Leave the mask in for at least 20 minutes.
- Rinse the mixture out of your hair and then shampoo as normal.8
DIY Hair Masks For the Win
These are just a couple of mask recipes that will hopefully help you achieve a healthy, strong head of hair. But there are many other DIY hair masks that can easily be found online – ones that use much different ingredients.
Don’t be afraid to experiment with several recipes until you find the one that works best for your hair.