That perfect shot of yourself in front of the Taj Mahal is absolutely worth the long flight to get there, but don’t let dry, dull skin dim the energy and excitement you feel inside! Instead, there are plenty of travel skincare tips to boost your appearance.
Because, let’s face it: Airplanes are notoriously known to dehydrate skin, throwing it out of whack and even causing breakouts for some travelers. That’s because inside the cabin, you’re facing about 10-50 percent recycled air, along with less oxygen.1,2 Couple that with less-than-comfortable sleep and crossing time zones, and your skin can easily look dreary and lackluster.
Fortunately, despite the 3.4-ounce liquid rule, there are easy ways to step into baggage claim with dewy, healthy-looking skin. Follow these skincare tips when traveling to arrive with beautiful, glowing skin:
1. Infuse Deep Hydration the Night Before
To prepare for your upcoming trek in a pressurized cabin, an intense mask treatment the night before can make a huge difference. Gently cleanse and exfoliate your skin first to remove dead skin cells and pave the way for the hydrating ingredients. After, put on a mask containing glycerin, urea, or lactic acid, all of which help moisturize skin. 3 After, apply a layer of cream and go to bed to wake up with plump, travel-ready skin.
2. Hydrate From the Inside
Yes, this isn’t anything new, but proper hydration is especially important when you’re mid-air. Think about how stressed your complexion appears after a night of drinking. It’s mostly the result of dehydration. Now, imagine how thirsty your body gets on a transatlantic flight. Bring your own empty water bottle and ask a friendly flight attendant to fill it up, so you don’t have to wait for beverage service.
3. Hydrate From the Outside
This is the fun part: Purchase an empty travel-size spray bottle before your adventure and create your own skin-replenishing, soothing, and refreshing tonic. You can simply pour in a hydrating toner or liquid and mix in moisturizing botanical oils, such as almond, grapeseed or sunflower oil. Many people love rose water as their base, especially due to its divine smell. Keep this in your purse and spritz on your face throughout the flight. Click HERE for DIY Face Mist Recipe.
4. Steam Yourself
You’ll be deprived of humidity for several hours or even days, so steaming your face will be a breath of fresh air for your skin. Pack a Ziploc bag and dry hand towel in your carry-on bag. After several hours in-flight, ask a flight attendant for a cup of hot water. Place the towel inside the Ziploc and slowly pour the hot water in until the towel is completely saturated. Wait until the towel is tolerably warm, then squeeze the excess water out of the towel and let it rest on your face. (Just make sure the baggie is sturdy and doesn’t have any holes in it!) Sit for about five to 10 minutes. When you remove it, spray yourself with the tonic and moisturize.
5. Keep an Emollient Rich Moisturizer
Whether you like Crepe Corrector, Lift + Firm or a natural balm, a rich moisturizer will come in handy for many situations. Rub on the edge of your nostrils to combat the dryness, apply on your hands and cuticles, and massage it along areas of your face prone to dryness, like the tip of your lips, nose, chin, eye area and cheekbones. Bonus: The moisturizer will add a natural, healthy sheen to your face.
6. Best In-Flight Beauty Products
So you’ve got a pretty good handle on an in-flight beauty routine. But want to make your in-flight skincare routine even easier? (And more effective?) We have some product recommendations. Both of these are under the 3.4 ounce TSA rule, so you won’t have any hassle in the security line:
- 24hr Rose Hydrating Mist: Our hydrating mist goes with in-flight skincare like a hand in glove. With vitamin C and moisturizing properties — rosewater provides lasting hydration and skin protection that will get you through even those long TransAtlantic flights. Simply close your eyes and mist on your face for an instantly revived complexion.
- Taking a red-eye flight? It can be hard to get a decent night’s sleep. Take along our Emergency Under-Eye Fix to decrease puffiness and bags, so you can look bright-eyed when you reach your destination.
Post-flight essentials are pretty handy too. Once you arrive at your hotel –
- Exfoliate any flaky skin brought on by recycled in-flight air with our Skin Renewing Polish.
- Then follow up with the incredibly easy-to-pack Ageless Volume Hyaluronic Face Mask. This sheet mask will restore moisture to dry, travel-weary skin.
Travel looking your Best!
Even though traveling can be exhausting, but don’t let that exhaustion reflect on your face. Follow these travel skincare tips to stay hydrated, so you can bounce off the plane and on to your destination looking as gorgeous as ever. Happy travels!
Article updated: March 28, 2018
For more travel skincare tips, keep reading:
5 Essential Travel Tricks for Staying Gorgeous on the Go
How to Revive Your Skin in 5 Minutes
1. Prevention, Centers. “Air Travel – Chapter 6 – 2016 Yellow Book | Travelers’ Health | CDC”. N.p., 2015. Web. 6 Mar. 2017.
2. “WHO | World Health Organization”. Who.int. N.p., 2017. Web. 6 Mar. 2017.
3. Publications, Harvard. “Moisturizers: Do They Work? – Harvard Health”. Harvard Health. N.p., 2008. Web. 6 Mar. 2017.
4. Elle Canada, “Rose Garden”. Date Published March 27, 2006. Date Accessed March 28, 2018.