They say eyes are the windows to the soul, but eyebrows are the window dressing—an essential element to showing off your features. Of course, eye makeup can do wonders but an often overlooked element to making your eyes pop are your brows and how you shape them.
Never groomed your eyebrows before? Not to worry, it’s simple to achieve perfectly-shaped brows that are suited to the shape of your face.
Follow these five tips to make sure your arches really show off your natural beauty:
1. Cleanse and Exfoliate
Your eyebrows are hair, after all! Before you hit the sack (when it’s OK that your brows are oilier or out of place), use a brow brush to gently rub the bristles from the inner to the outer corners. This helps get rid of dead skin cells. Afterward, apply a nourishing oil to condition the strands. Argan, jojoba and coconut oils are popular choices.
2. Trim Diligently.
Even one or two hairs on your eyebrows can adjust the overall shape and look of them. (And the more sparse your brows, the more of a difference each hair makes. Hot tip: our lash enhancing serum works wonders at regrowing eyebrows, too!) When hair is too long, especially along the curves, it can make your eyebrows look “messy.” Use tiny brow scissors to clip them. Don’t try to cut in one try–trim a teensy bit at a time to make sure you don’t overdo it.
3. Use the Pencil Method to Determine Length.
There’s no rule on how long or short your eyebrows should be, but here’s one technique to help guide you: Place the bottom of a pencil vertically along the side of your nose and line it up so that the top of the pencil is at the inner corner of your eyes. This will tell you where your eyebrow should generally begin. Now do the same, except this time place the top of the pencil at the outer corner of your eye. Where the tip of the pencil ends up is where your brow should end. This is an estimate – some people choose to place their brows closer together for a more dramatic effect, or shorter if it suits their facial structure.
4. Fill In Before Tweezing (Under the Brow).
There’s a simple way to prevent over-tweezing, which can be a disaster since random hairs don’t always grow back! Before you even touch the tweezer, fill in your brows using a brow pencil or shadow. After you’re satisfied with the overall shape, tweeze the extra hairs that fall outside your penciled-in brow. Remember: Do NOT pluck above the brow–focus only on below. If you tweeze the top of your brow, the overall shape may look downward-facing, making you look sad.
5. Hold Your Beautiful Arches With Gel
To make sure your arches look perfect all day, apply a clear eyebrow gel for a more natural look and a tinted gel for a bit more drama. Eyebrow gels come in tube with a brush wand, just like mascara. If you want to create even more boldness, brush your eyebrow hair bottom to top all the way from left to right. The gel not only solidifies your final shape but keeps it that way throughout the day!
How To Shape Your Brows To Your Face
You know how certain shapes of eyeglasses tend to flatter your face while other shapes, well, just don’t sit quite right? The same applies to eyebrows. The right brow shape can complement your features, while the wrong shape may throw your look out of balance. Here’s a quick cheat sheet that can help you shape your brows to make the most of your face:
- Eyebrow shapes for round faces: Sharper angles will help add definition to round faces. Opt for a high arch, by tweezing slightly more where your brow curves — about ⅔ of the way out.
- Eyebrow shapes for long faces: The key here is to balance out the length of the face by adding some horizontal dimension. Go ahead and extend the tails of your brows beyond the outer edges of your eyes. But avoid extending downward — it can draw the entire face down.
- Eyebrow shapes for heart-shaped faces: Since the eyes are already emphasized in this face shape — try for a soft, rounded arch, and keep your brows well-groomed.
- Eyebrow shapes for oval faces: Oval-shaped faces can get away with a variety of shapes. For a well-balanced brow, simply follow the pencil method (above) to determine proper length.
Your arches are one of the most delicate features you have, yet they can make a very big impact on the way you look. Make sure you take care of them as much as you do your skin. The payoff will be worth the effort!
Article updated: March 27, 2018